Code of Fundraising Changes
On 15 February 2018, the Fundraising Regulator announced it had updated the Code of Fundraising Practice to take account of the developments in data protection and privacy law to be introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The changes will have effect from 25 May 2018 (when the GDPR is incorporated into UK law).
The Fundraising Regulator
The Fundraising Regulator says the changes to the Code will:
- ensure consistent terminology between the Code and the GDPR;
- emphasise that any activity involving personal data (including wealth screening, data matching, tele-appending and reuse of public information) falls under processing and that data protection rules apply;
- create new sections on Data Protection and Direct Marketing;
- add and expand definitions for key terms, including processing, consent and legitimate Interest; and
- increase links to existing guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the Fundraising Regulator and other relevant bodies.
If you would like any further information on how the GDPR affects the charity that you work for, please contact me.