Mediation is an increasingly important feature of civil commercial and employment disputes. It enables both business and individuals to pursue Alternative Dispute Resolution which avoids the time, expense and anxiety of being involved in litigation in the courts.
Our standard Mediator’s charges for a full day Mediation is £1,500 plus VAT to be paid in equal shares by the two parties before the mediation hearing unless the parties and the Mediator shall otherwise agree.
Our Mediator’s charges are however subject to the following provisos and conditions:
- A normal day’s Mediation would start at 9.30am and finish at 5.30pm or would otherwise start at a different time but for the same number of hours as the parties and Mediator shall otherwise agree.
- The Mediator’s fees will include a reasonable amount of preparation time (up to 2 hours) but the Mediator reserves the right to ask for additional remuneration at the rate of £200 per hour if presented with a case that requires extraordinary preparation or reading.
- The Mediator will not normally charge overtime if the dispute is resolved or concluded at or about the normal finishing time at the end of a day or half day Mediation. If not so concluded however, and provided that both parties wish to continue to mediate and bear the overtime fee, the Mediator would continue the Mediation and charge overtime at £200 per hour.
- The Mediator will not normally charge for travel within the Solent area. He will however charge for travel time and expenses and accommodation expenses as appropriate to do so where the Mediator attends a Mediation further afield and he has agreed those expenses with the parties in his fee proposal.
- Mediation rooms may be booked at the offices of Paris Smith which are in the centre of Southampton, near to major rail and road links. Parking is normally available. Lunch may be ordered at cost.
- A multi-party dispute (being 3 or more parties separately represented) would be the subject of a separate fee proposal and is not subject to standard charges. The fee proposal will depend upon the nature of the dispute and the number of parties involved.
- Our Mediation Service also offers a half day Mediation (normally from 9.00 am to 1.30 pm or otherwise as the parties may agree) subject to the Mediator approving the dispute as being suitable for a half day Mediation after perusal of the papers.
For more information on our Mediation service or to book Mediation please visit the Mediation page on our website.