- Trade Marks, Copyright, Designs, Patents, Confidential information and trade secrets
- Contract drafting – licences, assignments, co-existence agreements, international trade agreements
- National and International Trade Mark portfolio management – applications, renewals and oppositions
- IP audit and strategy
- IP due diligence and corporate transactional support
- IP disputes – enforcement and settlement
- Joint ventures and collaborations
- IT development contracts (software, websites, mobile apps)
- Infrastructure, integration and migration agreements
- Outsourcing agreements
- Non-contentious contract drafting and negotiation
- Training and seminars on demonstrating best practice with regard to data protection compliance
- Data protection breaches, notification and response policy
- Template compliance documents
- Subject Access Requests
- Enforcement Notices and ICO liaison
- Contentious and non-contentious advice
Laura spent many years at niche intellectual property firms and teams in London and joined Paris Smith in 2012 to head up the IP and IT team.
Laura is an intellectual property lawyer who delivers commercial solutions based on legal argument. Her experience covers all aspects of commercial intellectual property and IT law for multinationals through to SMEs and individuals. She has particular expertise in the Tech and Food and Drink sectors.
Laura sits on the panel of advisers for the Catalyst Centre at Southampton Science Park, advising Catalyst members on their IP – from ownership issues, strategy and protection to enforcement.
- Successful negotiation and drafting of a global mobile app agreement for a telecoms provider with multinational customers
- Preparation of IP strategy for major UK company and implementation of the strategic issues
- Successful defence of patent entitlement claim, assignment of patent back to our client and ongoing royalty stream for our client
- Construction and maintenance of International trade mark portfolio for a global drinks provider
- Drafting suite of IT related contracts for a globally known software gaming company
- Guiding national insurance client through the process of design, integration and migration of its IT platform
- Preparation of suite of data protection compliance documents for over 70 clients since the implementation of GDPR
Recent Blogs (view all IP blogs)
- Nosecco loses its trade mark appeal
- Coronavirus : What are the issues when moving a business online?
- Does trade mark law protect brands or create an abusive market?
- 5 steps for a successful IP strategy
- Dixons data breach fine : What can businesses learn from this case?
Laura was a real find for us. Having been in business 23 years and had various encounters with Lawyers, it was refreshing to get a professional who actually wants to build a relationship with you and understand your business through and through. Thank you Laura.
- Martin Saunders, Owner, PushkablueData Communications Ltd
Paris Smith has helped us with regard to the protection and exploitation of our intellectual property along with giving us a lot of help and advice in becoming GDPR compliant. We were really happy with the service we received and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
- Karen Read, Director
Wetwheels Solent CIC
The Blue Lamp Trust charity needed to ensure copyright and trade mark protection for an image it had created for its business and turned to Laura Trapnell for assistance. Laura proved both very knowledgeable and helpful, steering us through what seemed a complex process, in clear and easy to follow steps. I am confident we would not have achieved our copyright and trade mark without Laura’s professional assistance and would have no hesitation in recommending her to any client in need of assistance with Intellectual Property.
- Jim Bettley, General Manager
The Blue Lamp Trust
This is to confirm that Laura Trapnell of Paris Smith has been acting for Jane Austen’s House Museum in relation to both our registered trade marks and wider IP.
Laura has always given the Museum an excellent professional service and we appreciate how she has tailored her advice to the needs of our charity.
- Mary Guyatt, Director
Jane Austen's House Museum
Recently I encountered a problem with an offshore company which we have dealt with for some years but became very concerned with the outcome of our dispute as it involved issues involving intellectual property, employment and business contracts. The team at Paris Smith went out of their way to guide me through a maze of applicable law to arrive at an amicable agreement with the other side. I have no problem in recommending the team and I am very glad they are on my side
- Trevor Linn, Director
Turbulent Aviation Limited
We needed a lawyer to review and protect potential sources of IP in existing products, in addition, raising awareness within the R&D team to identify and highlight potential IP when developing new products. Laura Trapnell and the team at Paris Smith resolved this by by conducting a comprehensive IP audit of our products, which also highlighted R&D process improvements, to help identify and capture potential future sources of IP. The approach was well structured, straightforward and pragmatic, which suited our business as an SME well. A very valuable and worthwhile exercise.
- Chris Compton, MD
Clients say: ‘We have an excellent relationship with Laura Trapnell, who has a wealth of business-minded expertise in IP.‘; ‘very knowledgable, helpful and efficient; and ‘Laura’s attention to detail and having our interests in mind, mean we always have great confidence in her ability.‘
Legal 500 2020
Intellectual property department head Laura Trapnell is ‘quick to respond and always really helpful with fantastic customer service‘.
Legal 500 2018-19