We place a high degree of importance on developing a close working relationship with the senior management team and governors of the schools we work with. We are experienced in acting for schools that are converting as stand alone academies as well as schools converting together in an academy group.
We will provide guidance to your school on the legal steps involved in the conversion process. This will cover the following areas:
- Advice on consultation
- Establishing the academy trust (including drafting the memorandum and articles of association)
- Agreeing the Funding Agreement with the Secretary of State
- Negotiating the Commercial Transfer Agreement with the local authority to transfer staff and assets to the academy and
- Agreeing the land documentation (usually a transfer of the freehold title, a grant of a lease or a Supplemental Agreement depending on the former category of the school)
- In order to ensure that the milestone dates during the conversion process are met, we will liaise directly with the key parties involved, including your contact at the DfE, the local authority and where relevant the local Diocese. Our experience means that we can ensure that your academy conversion proceeds smoothly, allowing you to focus on running your school.
After the Coalition Government first introduced the Academies Act 2010, our Education team acted for many outstanding secondary schools that were converting as stand alone academies. We are now increasingly acting for primary schools converting together in groups and existing academies that are expanding. The DfE has recently announced that the Primary Academy Chain Development Grant has been extended until the 31 November 2014. If you would like any further information on this grant please do not hesitate to contact us.
You do not have to be committed to the conversion process to speak to us! A member of our academy conversion team will be happy to attend your school, without charge, and meet the Head Teacher, Business Manager, Finance Officer and/or Governor(s) to discuss the various steps involved and answer any questions you may have, to allow you to make a more informed decision on how to proceed.
Following conversion we hope to build an ongoing partnership with your school. Our education services section contains information about the various support services that we can offer. We will be happy to discuss any requirement that you may have for legal assistance and to create a bespoke package for your school.