I head up the firm’s Disputes Resolution department and lead the Property Litigation team. With experience of all fields of commercial litigation I now specialise in property litigation a field in which I have over 30 years experience. Work undertaken regularly includes:
- commercial landlord and tenant;
- residential landlord and tenant;
- business lease renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954;
- possession claims;
- property rights on insolvency;
- option agreements and other land sale agreements;
- electronic/telecommunications code issues;
- joint ownership disputes;
- boundary disputes/adverse possession claims;
- rights of way – public footpaths, private easements;
- town and village greens; and
- mortgage repossessions and other banking and finance issues.
Other work undertaken includes:
Professional negligence typically in the areas of construction, conveyancing, valuation, survey and other property related negligence issues.
Negligent financial advice
General commercial and insolvency related litigation – prior to narrowing my focus to property disputes, I spent over ten years as a general commercial and insolvency litigator including contractual, corporate and commercial disputes and despite the property focus continue to undertake such work. I recently successfully concluded a high court trial of a shareholder dispute.
I assess each case to give thorough advice on the legal merits but crucially combine this with a strategy to fulfill my client’s objectives, approach to risk and financial strength. I have contacts which I can use to help facilitate alternative ways of funding cases where appropriate.
I am an active member of the Property Litigation Association and Southampton Property Association for whom I and my team have regularly presented seminars.
I am also a trustee at UTC Portsmouth.