Paris Smith LLP is one of the South’s leading law firms with a clear strategy and vision for the future. We are committed to ensuring that clients have a positive experience with the firm, and to inspire our people to reach their full potential aligned to our values.
The role will include managing your own case load of trusts and personal tax clients as well as providing support to fee earners within the Tax & Estate Planning department.
The main responsibilities include:
- day to day trust administration of UK resident trusts;
- advising trustees with regard to income tax planning for income and drafting trustee resolutions for the distribution of income and the appointment of revocable life interests;
- calculating available income within trusts and estates for distribution and completion of forms R185;
- preparing annual trust accounts using Excel;
- registration of estates and trusts with HMRC;
- preparation of IHT returns for periodic and exit charges and calculation of the IHT liability;
- attending trustee meetings and taking trustee minutes;
- advising trustees and beneficiaries of the tax consequences of terminating trusts both life interest and relevant property trusts;
- supporting the residential property department with advice relating to capital gains tax issues with property transactions;
- preparing annual trust tax returns using CCH software and submission to HMRC and agreeing subsequent tax liabilities;
- providing support to the Head of Department and other lawyers in the department in connection with IHT issues both with Estates in Administration and Trust issues;
- responsibility for preparing pre-death tax Self Assessment tax returns for deceased taxpayers and administration period tax returns and agreeing tax liabilities with HMRC; and
- responsibility for a portfolio of private clients to include the preparation of annual tax returns and advising on planning opportunities whenever available.
Skills and experience for this role are:
- ATT/CTA or TEP preferred
- At least 2 years PQE in a similar role
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organised
- A good working knowledge of the UK tax system in relation to Income tax, CGT and IHT
- A good working knowledge of the administration of trusts
- Good IT skills, particularly in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
In return we offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive range of benefits and a first-class working environment within a leading regional law practice.
To apply for this job please email a covering letter and C.V. to email@example.com.