If this escalates, it can cause reputational damage, create uncertainty for employees, stakeholders, customers and suppliers, restrict progress, as well as create unwelcome opportunities for competitors.
The reasons for these issues are complex and tensions run high, so our team commits to advising on the absolute best strategy and tactics for a swift and full resolution, that protects you in the long term.
Key services in director, partnership or shareholder disputes
Below are some of the types of disputes we provide expert guidance on:
- Director disputes, statutory obligations
- Shareholder disputes
- Unfair prejudice claims
- Breaches of director duties
- Director changes and protection against competitors
- Partnership disputes including issues relating to new partners, performance, poor behaviour, succession planning and many more.
Work examples of director, partner and shareholder disputes
We have listed a few examples of the sorts of disputes we have advised on recently:
- Facilitating constructive discussions between directors in which a breakdown of trust and understanding had arisen.
- Claim against a director for breach of duties in failing to notify the board of directors of a planned move of senior employees including the director to a competitor.
- Acting for a partnership in recovery of losses from a former partner for excessive drawings and breaches of the partnership agreement.
- Claims by minority shareholders against majority shareholders for unfair prejudice.
- Acting for a minority shareholder/sales director in a software company where the majority shareholder/director was making unlawful inter-company loans, extracting huge sums from the company as “expenses” and utilising company property to facilitate a relationship with a company employee.
- Acting for a director and shareholder in dispute with co director/shareholder as to ownership of key intellectual property rights, ascertaining ownership of such rights prior to the incorporation of the company and negotiating cross licensing arrangements to permit continued use.
How we work with you
Whilst based in the South of England, Paris Smith acts for businesses and families throughout the UK. Technology has enabled us to provide a high level of service to our clients whether they are local to our offices or not. Our advice can be given in many ways:
- Over the telephone
- Via video conferencing
- In face to face meetings
We will talk through how you would like to be contacted and the best ways for us to meet in our early conversations with you.
Meet the team
Our Director, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes team is made up of 4 partners, 2 solicitors and 1 trainee solicitor. You can find contact details for them below.