Whether you are a franchisor or a franchisee our franchising expert can assist you. Below we set out the services we can provide.
When you run a business that delivers quality, you can’t afford to drop the ball, and your franchise network needs to run like clockwork. We understand that not only is it crucial that you have the right franchisees in your network, but you need robust franchise agreements in place, and strategic commercial support from your legal team.
Whether you already have an established franchise network, or you’re in the early stages of this growth strategy, our specialist team will provide the expert advice you need for a happy and prosperous franchise network.
- drafting and reviewing franchise agreements, deposit agreements and confidentiality agreements;
- intellectual property and brand protection strategic advice;
- acting on franchise re-sales;
- resolving complex franchise disputes with franchisees;
- employment law issues associated with the franchise;
- considering and advising on all property related matters arising from and connected with franchising; and
- all other legal issues that may be associated with franchising.
Are you about to take on a franchise, or perhaps you already run a franchise but need specialist legal help with your agreement?
Taking on the running of a business means both a financial and emotional investment so having the right legal support is crucial. Whether it’s getting your franchise agreements right, support through the buying process or commercial advice on the running of your franchise, our in house specialist can help get you and your franchise to where you want to be.
- franchise agreement reviews;
- assistance with renewals;
- franchise purchases and sales;
- property and employment advice; and
- disputes with your franchisor – we can advise on your legal position and options.
Fixed fee franchise agreement reviews
If you are taking a franchise we can review your franchise agreement (typically 40-60 pages long) and produce for you a comprehensive, written report on a competitive, fixed fee basis. Our report will advise on the key aspects of the franchise agreement and appraise you of any particularly onerous or unusual provisions.
The majority of franchise agreements are non-negotiable, however we see our role as ensuring you fully understand the financial and personal obligations you are signing up to. If any negotiations with the franchisor are required we can assist with these on your behalf for an additional charge. We have experience advising prospective franchisees in a wide variety of business sectors and are on the panel of recommended lawyers for Toni & Guy franchisees.
Franchising work examples
- Drafting UK franchise agreement for a Canadian based educational franchise who are about to start franchising in the UK. We are also registering the UK trademarks. Client had an established franchise brand in Canada and other countries but needed assistance from a UK lawyer to bring the franchise to the UK. We adapted their existing agreement for the UK, registered their trademarks and put them in touch with the UK franchising industry/BFA.
- Drafting a pilot franchise agreement (i.e. test agreement) for a UK programme focused on talent returning to jobs in STEM for a franchisee in Australia.
- Drafted franchise agreement for a franchisor in Winchester – a home cleaning company. Issue: needed assistance with drafting their franchise agreement.
- Drafted franchise agreement for a high end car valeting business. Issue: needed assistance with drafting their franchise agreement with bespoke details of their particular business model.
- A local fast food business – had a franchise agreement that they had ‘sourced’ from a competitor. Needed me to tailor it to their business and ensure it was up to date and sufficiently protective for them.
- Recommended lawyer for Toni & Guy franchisees and have worked for them for over 10 years. Franchise purchases, renewals and associated property work for the hair salons. Issue as for many franchisors was to find lawyers for their franchisees with specialist franchising knowledge (not just their high street lawyer who did their conveyancing) so that the process was more streamlined and efficient for both parties. As we have extensive experience of the T&G franchise documents we can provide our legal review service on a cost effective basis and move the deal to completion quickly.
- Purchase of Bluebird Care franchise from an existing franchisee. Franchise re-sale, acting for the purchaser.