Your IP protection and enforcement strategy should be as sophisticated as and align with any other strategic consideration in your business; it should not only protect your IP assets effectively, but also be future proof and commercially sound.
We pride ourselves on giving practical, no-nonsense advice in relation to all elements of intellectual property – trade marks, copyright, design rights, registered design, patents, confidential and trade secrets – and are dedicated to helping clients achieve a watertight IP strategy.
Our specialist in-house trade mark team are well-equipped to service clients’ national and international trade mark and registered design portfolios.
Key intellectual property services
Managing your intellectual property
- IP audit
- IP strategy
- Business objectives and financial budgeting
- IP corporate governance
- Buying and selling IP assets
- Trade mark and registered design portfolios
- Exploiting your intellectual property
- Protecting your brand name or trade mark
- Database right and data protection
- Registered and unregistered design right
- Expanding into a new territory
- Licensing your IP or obtaining an IP licence
- Employees and IP ownership issues
- IT and technology agreements
Defending your intellectual property
- If you think a third party is using your IP
- If you have received a ‘cease and desist’ letter
- Negotiating co-existence agreements
- Settling IP disputes
- Trade mark opposition proceedings
- Trade mark invalidity proceedings
- Licensing your IP or obtaining an IP licence
Examples of intellectual property cases
- Settlement of a partnership dispute concerning ownership of IP. The client had been threatened with having to stop use of the partnership IP- we negotiated a settlement in our client’s favour enabling her to continue to use the IP she had created and continue the business in the future.
- Licensing client software to the military. The client had been presented with a huge contract and was struggling to wade through it and understand it. We walked the client through the obligations and liabilities and successfully negotiated various amendments which restricted our client’s liability to an appropriate level and ensured that all IP rights were retained by our client thereby allowing the client to licence the software to other customers.
- Settling a patent dispute for a client – the client’s former co-director had forced him out of the business and was continuing to use his patented products without any recompense. We successfully negotiated a settlement, purchase of our client’s shares for value and put in place a proper licence agreement, recouping significant backdated royalties and ongoing royalty payments for many years to come.
- Management of the client’s global trade mark portfolio – we liaise with international agents on our client’s behalf, keep on top of the renewal dates, deal with international oppositions and file new trade marks.
How we work with you
Whilst based in the South of England, Paris Smith acts for businesses and families throughout the UK. Technology has enabled us to provide a high level of service to our clients whether they are local to our offices or not. Our advice can be given in many ways:
- Over the telephone
- Via video conferencing
- In face to face meetings
We will talk through how you would like to be contacted and the best ways for us to meet in our early conversations with you.
How we’ve helped our clients
“Ryan Mitchell helped me with perhaps one of the most challenging areas around intellectual property and GDPR compliance. Ryan always got back to me quickly and was very patient and conscientious throughout. I found everyone at Paris Smith to be highly professional, and to keep a good sense of humour even when the work became very painstaking. This helped me to deal with what could have been a very stressful time. I was very pleased with the final outcome and would recommend Paris Smith highly.”
David Marshall, Director & Shareholder
“Referees say “The advice is extremely clear and the team is well placed to give legal advice in a broader commercial context”, “They effectively dealt with a complex IP dispute concerning copyright in computer software intertwined with allegations of breach of directors’ duties”, “IP knowledge combined with business insight”, A very capable team which is able to take on complex work and provide clients with sound, realistic and commercially astute advice” and “Impressive attention to detail and excellent case management. I would highly recommend them for any complex IP / company law / commercial dispute.” Another says “Great service – extremely responsive and they take time to understand the needs of our business.””
Legal 500 2024 Edition
“One client says The practice is highly competent in all the fields in which they have worked for me. The Intellectual Property team is very knowledgeable, but also always brings a high degree of pragmatism to any case which I value highly”; whilst another adds “Their IP team is friendly, offers good access and availability, is knowledgeable and cost-effective for us.” Another source states “The team is knowledgeable and provides practical, relevant advice.” Laura Trapnell is singled out with sources saying “Laura Trapnell combines in-depth knowledge of her subject with an ability to communicate key points clearly to people with little experience. She very effectively builds a rapport with those seeking IP advice, which is particularly valuable in working with start-up and early stage companies”; “Laura Trapnell and her team provide very professional support to knowledge-based companies in the region. Laura makes a great contribution to the entrepreneurial community by educating business leaders on the importance of intellectual property (in all its forms) and providing legal support in a way that is accessible to start-up and high-growth companies”; “Laura Trapnell worked closely with Paris Smith LLP partner Helen Brown and negotiated on our behalf, achieving the best settlement outcome possible. She was very supportive of us as clients suffering under stress. Her approach was very human and reassuring. She went ‘beyond the call of duty’ to ensure we achieved a result within an unreasonable time-frame set by an unreasonable third party”; “Laura Trapnell helps with technical inquiries as well as being exceptionally knowledgeable in their specialist areas. It feels like you have an indirect legal team at your disposal internally as a colleague”; and “Laura Trapnell is an enthusiastic leader. She provides sensible and appropriate advice to entrepreneurs and business leaders.”
Legal 500 2023 – Referee Comments
Legal 500 – 2024 Edition
Recently engaged in software licensing, Paris Smith LLP is geared to handle an array of copyright infringement, design rights and registered design disputes.
What clients say:
‘Helen Brown is a ‘hands on’ partner who is very dedicated to the client’s case.’
‘The advice is extremely clear and the team is well placed to give legal advice in a broader commercial context.’
‘IP knowledge combined with business insight.’
‘They effectively dealt with a complex IP dispute concerning copyright in computer software intertwined with allegations of breach of directors’ duties.’
‘A very capable team which is able to take on complex work and provide clients with sound, realistic and commercially astute advice.’
‘Impressive attention to detail and excellent case management. I would highly recommend them for any complex IP / company law / commercial dispute.’