- Acquisitions and disposals
- Corporate finance
- Private equity
- Commercial contracts
Jonathon specialises in corporate and corporate finance work. He has considerable experience in M&A including cross border transactions, MBOs, private company fundraisings, corporate reconstructions, and investment and joint venture agreements. He has acted for a wide range of clients, including FTSE 100 companies, SME’s and owner managed businesses.
Jonathon enjoys taking a commercial and constructive approach to getting deals done. He is recommended in Legal 500 where he is described as diligent and personable.
Jonathon joined Paris Smith in 2003, and became a Partner in 2008. Whilst at Paris Smith he has led on numerous complex and high value transactions.
Work Highlights since 2018
- Sale of SHB Hire to Enterprise, the largest corporate transaction undertaken by Enterprise outside North America. Completed July 2019
- Purchase by Draper Tools of Dutch firm Delta International. Completed October 2018
- Sale of Millbrook Healthcare to Cairngorm Capital Private Equity. Completed July 2019
- Purchase by General Estates Company of Whitchurch Bridge, a company incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1792. Completed February 2019
- Merger and sale of UK Web Media to Inflexion Private Equity. Completed April 2018
- Sale of the Box It Group to Oasis. Completed February 2018
- Sale of the Compak Group to Rawlings. Completed April 2019
- Sale of Active Education Group and Ultimate Activity Company to Dukes Summer Schools. Completed May 2019
- Purchase of a farming business for Yacht Havens. Completed July 2019
- Sale of Amberley Adhesive Labels to the Coveris Group. Completed July 2019
- Purchase by Richmond Cars of the Sparshatts Group. Completed July 2019
- Purchase and onward sale of several holiday parks. Completed September/October 2018
- Purchase of Forest Lodge Garden Centre, Garden Style and Birdworld by Haskins Garden Centres Limited. Completed February 2020
- Purchase of Newmans (Southampton) Limited car dealerships by Richmond Cars. Completed March 2020
- 10 potential pitfalls to avoid when selling a business to overseas buyers
- Risks to avoid when selling your business
From the outset Jonathon Roy and the team at Paris Smith have been a pleasure to work with. They proved very quickly they were the right team for the job and that allowed me the time to focus on the commercial elements of the deal. I’ve already recommended them to others and would have no hesitation in using them again.”
- Jamie Harwood, CEO
UK Web Media
The Millbrook Group have enjoyed a longstanding relationship with Paris Smith. The Paris Smith team on this transaction, led by Jonathon Roy, were professional and dedicated in the legal assistance they provided to enable us to achieve an extremely satisfactory conclusion to a complex and intensive process.
- Paul Croll, Selling Shareholder
Despite being told that we should use London lawyers for the sale of SHB we decided to stick with Paris Smith whom our family have dealt with since the 1950s. We found that they reacted quickly and efficiently to the many issues that arose out of a process of creating new companies, transferring shares and properties and finally selling SHB. The purchaser used London lawyers and Paris Smith more than proved themselves to have been the best choice for us.
Mike Street, Founder of SHB Hire
Jonathon Roy and his team assisted General Estates with the purchase of Whitchurch Bridge Company in February 2019. It was the first time the company had changed ownership in over 200 years and consequently there were a number of quirks to the deal which were fairly unique but all were competently and pragmatically handled by Jonathon and his team to ensure the deal closed smoothly.
- James Percy, Director
Professional, responsive and practical support from Jonathan and Arezou of Paris Smith throughout the recent sale process of my business. I have had excellent service and advice throughout the seventeen plus years that I have been a client of Paris Smith and this transaction has been no different . I can’t recommend them and the PS team highly enough.
- Trevor Smith
We have benefited from the support of Paris Smith on 4 transactions since 2012 and remain very impressed by their pragmatic and commercially astute approach. What is needed in the heat of negotiating and problem solving is calm and informed guidance plus an ability to stay focussed on what really matters. My personal thanks to Jonathon and the team for delivering success on each occasion.
- Several companies in packaging/pharmaceutical sector
John Sidnall, Founder & CEO
When we were considering the proposed acquisition of an overseas subsidiary with a relatively complex earn-out structure, we approached our regular solicitors, Paris Smith for some clear guidance on both the due diligence and legal requirements. As we have not been involved in such a transaction previously, working with Jonathon Roy for the first time made this process very simple. Jonathon was especially helpful and provided clear, efficient and prompt advice on our legal and financial position. Working very closely with our Dutch solicitor, Jonathon steered us through the legal documentation and the language barrier to bring the acquisition to a successful conclusion.
- Peter Denney, Finance Director
Jonathon Roy is a specialist in corporate finance and company law and receives plaudits for his “down-to-earth” demeanour in complex mandates. He supports a variety of clients, including SMEs and international corporate groups, on commercial issues and transactional work.
Chambers and Partners 2020
Jonathon Roy is recognised for his in-depth private equity experience. He acts for both companies and funds on M&A transactions. Sources praise his “very good commercial sense“.
Chambers & Partners Legal Directory 2019