Construction projects are notorious for generating construction disputes, which can become expensive and difficult to resolve without specialist advice.
Our construction team is well-versed in the issues that typically arise and can assist in the cost-effective resolution of them. We have substantial experience of adjudications, arbitrations, mediations and cases in the technology and construction court.
Key Construction Disputes services
Below we list some of the key services we can provide in this field:
- Claims against contractors, project managers, architects or engineers
- Claims against employers by contractors
- Claims against contractors by sub-contractors
- Professional negligence claims
- Liquidated damages claims
- Loss and expense claims
Construction Disputes work examples
We have listed some examples of the various types of construction disputes we have advised on in recent years:
- Claim against an architect for professional negligence in the design of a bespoke construction and failings in undertaking the project management role.
- Enforcement of a performance guarantee bond following the failure of a contractor and subsequent insolvency to complete agreed works at an international sporting venue.
- Acting for a charity in a claim worth over £1 million against a firm of architects who designed and inspected works carried out to extend the charity’s premises.
- Defending a Winding Up Petition issued against an employer by an unpaid subcontractor.
- Representing a bakery whose factory floor was laid incorrectly by the flooring contractor and needed to be refitted.
- Acting for homeowner against builder of bespoke mansion with numerous defects and planning breaches.
- Acting for a charity client in a £2mllion claim against an Architect for defective design of a commercial building and failure to inspect works. This involved project managing a large team of lawyers, experts and client representatives and attending regular Board of Trustees meetings.
- Defending a case for a M & E contractor who was being blamed for delays on site.
- Pursuing a £400,000 debt owed to a contractor for technical marine surveys for an offshore development.
How we work with you
Whilst based in the South of England, Paris Smith acts for businesses and families throughout the UK. Technology has enabled us to provide a high level of service to our clients whether they are local to our offices or not. Our advice can be given in many ways:
- Over the telephone
- Via video conferencing
- In face to face meetings
We will talk through how you would like to be contacted and the best ways for us to meet in our early conversations with you.
How we’ve helped our clients
“Paris Smith and partner, Claire Egerton, have been our go to commercial and contractual solicitor for a number of years now. Claire has dealt with a variety of commercial matters for us and it is the professionalism and efficiency with which she handles our cases that ensure our on-going loyalty. We’ve found that it’s not only Claire’s legal expertise but also her solid and straight talking commercial logic that really sets her and the Paris Smith team apart from the competition.”
Mark Allies, MD – DNA IC Ltd
“A referee says “All the staff I’ve encountered have a broad knowledge and don’t need to consult colleagues;” whilst another states “It amazes me how they can fully understand my business and our service offerings with ease. It’s a true indication as to the level of expertise in the team.” A third referee says “Everyone within the company I’ve come across acts professionally with care and support.””
Chambers Legal Directory 2024