- Business risk management
- Insurance claims and dispute (public, product and employer), insurance related issues including coverage, material non- disclosure and fraud
- Professional negligence actions
- Mediation of commercial disputes
Peter’s primary role is as a leader of Paris Smith LLP. He feels privileged to be a custodian of the firm’s brand. Peter believes that it is his duty to serve the partners and staff ensuring that the firm’s purpose is delivered in a manner which is relevant, responsive and reliable to the needs of our clients and communities. His driver is to see those in Paris Smith achieve their full potential, to be inspired to do so, and feel happy and fulfilled.
Over and above this, Peter regularly meets and works with fascinating and dynamic businesses owners and people, using his skills and links to enable them to achieve their personal and business goals. He is committed to aiding clients of the firm to achieve their desired outcomes, feel in control, minimise the need for the distress purchase of legal services and engage lawyers for positive reasons.
Peter advises company directors and business leaders on strategy as well as being a mentor and sounding board.
He advises a range of companies and businesses in relation to:
- strategic issues for directors
- contract disputes
- negligence actions
- professional negligence claims
- insurance related litigation including coverage, material non- disclosure and fraud.
Peter has been cited by The Legal 500 Directory as “a highly skilled litigator and negotiator” and is regularly asked to speak on business risk management issues.
Peter is a CEDR accredited commercial mediator, assisting individuals and businesses to find solutions to disputes without the costs or limitations of a courtroom battle. He has experience in both representing parties at mediations and conducting the role of mediator His expertise encompasses a wide variety of cases including:
- complex shareholder director issues
- negligence claims against solicitors, insurance brokers, builders, architects
- insurance issues of coverage, indemnity and fraud
- business disputes including commercial contracts, employment contracts and breach of restrictive covenants
- construction and building projects related disputes
- landlord and tenant litigation,
Peter is chairman of the leadership team of the Southampton Chamber of Commerce, a non- executive director of Hampshire Chamber of Commerce and vice chairman of the Board of Governors of a Prep School. He is regularly asked to speak at business conferences on topical business and leadership issues.
- Travel advice sparks fears for cruise jobs
- Force majeure – a guide for businesses
- How the legal profession is coping with COVID-19
- Coronavirus impacts supply chain
- Risk management in 2020: avoid potential problems when dating your documents
- Lockdown: Protect and survive (a round table discussion hosted by The Law Society Gazette)
- Professional services: new norms, new behaviours (appearing on the NatWest Business Hub site)
- 2020 and beyond – Risks or opportunities (article appearing in Hampshire Legal, August 2020)
How to resolve commercial disputes without going to court
Peter Taylor is a character that I personally have very high regard for, and at a moment’s notice you can ask Peter for his honest and professional opinion no matter what the subject matter may be. Peter will always listen to both sides being very open minded and thoughtful in his decision process.
I would highly recommend both Peter and Paris Smith.
- Carl Richards, Focal Point Fires Plc
Noted as a leader in his field for liability claims, professional negligence and contractual disputes. Described by one client as “very knowledgeable and very communicative.
Chambers & Partners Legal Directory
Noted as being “a highly skilled litigator and negotiator”.